National Chili Day


There seems to be some discrepancy as to when National Chili Day is, but it's definitely this week. So, here's my favorite chili recipe to warm you up, wherever you are. If you can find local products to make this or grow your own, go for it, or buy organic if you can't. Enjoy, I think I am making a pot tonight!

Really Good Chili (serves 8-ish)

2 lbs. ground beef (venison is yummy if you can get it, no more than half the meat)
1/2 onion, chopped finely
1-3 jalapeno peppers, chopped finely (to taste)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 1/2 cups tomato sauce
1 large tomato, chopped
8 oz jar of salsa or picante sauce, however spicy you want it (or use your homemade!)
1 tsp black pepper
2 Tb. chili powder
4 tsp. ground cumin
3 tsp. creole seasoning or seasoned salt
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 tsp. oregano
2 tsp. cilantro
2 cans of beans - (I like to use 1 can of kidney beans and 1 can of black beans. I plan on experimenting with locally grown dried beans this year)

In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the ground beef, onion and pepper, and saute for 10 minutes, or until meat is browned and veg are tender. Drain grease.
Add sauce, salsa, tomato, spices and beans. Mix and simmer at least an hour.

I serve it with loads of cheddar or mexican cheese, and oyster crackers or corn chips. Yum.

If you eat chili regularly, get yourself some chili bowls like the one above... something about a good handmade stoneware bowl for chili makes it so awesome.

2 comments:

I love finding new Chili recipes. So thanks, I might try this out this weekend! I didn't know that you could find dried beans in your local area. Is this a pretty common food item at your local farmer's market? I don't think I've seen that before.

 

No... but I can dry them :) At least I'm assuming a food dehydrator will do the trick. Research is needed.